Tuesday, April 12, 2005

IT'S ALIVE!!!

In homage to Dr Frankenstein who uttered the words in the title to this posting rather loudly, okay shrieked them in an excess of insane orgasmic scientific fulfillment. I think I have cracked a way to pick up the stick from Alice's blog.

Book Reco-meme-dations:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Well if I am inside the inferno then proabably the best choice would be Mein Kampf by Adolph Hitler. Normally I treasure my books and would never let them come to harm, sometimes resorting to throwing my body between them and a hail of bullets, however, regardless of any insight we may gain into his warped personality, I think this book deserves to burn baby burn.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Oh yes, almost all of the male protaganists in any of Tim Robbins books. If you haven't read 'em then get out n' buy one now.

The last book you bought is?
Leavin' Trunk Blues by Ace Atkins. Picked it up on a charity shop. I love blues music and this book reads like not only a who's who of the blues but more importantly it reads like a blues song, made me want to get up n' dance, and jam along with my mouth harp. N' it gets even better 'cause its a mystery as well with Satan himself, the legendary Stagger Lee!

The last book you read?
Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs. I'm a big fan of her work, I like reading about both the South (which one you ask, well honey there is only one and its below the Mason Dixon Line) and Montreal. Again, there's sex, guns and violence and some science, history n' anthropology thrown in as well.

What book are you currently reading?
I'm re-reading Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil by (damn I hope I get this right) John Berendt. This is a genre you don't find much of - travel book/murder mystery. Actually its the place, Savannah and the people that are so compelling about this book and the prose is extremly evocative of both. Although I prefer books to movies I must say that whilst re-reading this I am now stuck with Kevin Spacey in my head as the emodiment of Jim Williams, which is okay 'cause I bought in him the film role totally.

Five books you would take with you on a deserted island?
1. Bartlett's Quotations - what an awesome book! There ain't hardly anything that's been written or said that you can't find in there. As I am a word person and collect sayings, lines etc. I find this quite useful for getting my head away from the crazed palce it goes to when I think of a phrase, line etc and can't remember all of it, or where it came from or who wrote it/sang it/said it etc.
2.A Tom Robbins novel - see above.
3. Can't remember the title but I have a book which is a compilation of Leonard Cohen's songs, poetry and prose so I'd have to have that just so I could get off from time to time, which I find his use of words always makes me do.
4.Gorillas In the Mist by Diane Fossey. What a remarable woman and what a magnificent animal. Gorillas are prretty much the only thing I really like except for skulls, and it should go without saying, except of course for Thea. I was stopped on the street one day by one of those quasi religious/science sects who asked me If you could be anything what would you be. My reply, A GORILLA! I may be the only person who has managed to stop one of those mo'fo's in their tracks n' left 'em speechless.
5. Damn, here's the deal, I'm not at home with all of my books around me and I'm gettin' on so I can't fuckin' remember all the titles n' authors of the books I love so let's just say I'd want a volume that was vast, immense, huge n' included a million zillion books within it, 'cause if I ain't readin' I'm dyin'.

Who are you going to pass this stick to?
Sarah Kobrinsky 'cause she has time on her hands, or maybe not, but I look forward to her responses. N.B. Turns out she is very busy indeed but no excuses, we still want her comments. So come'on babe pick up the challenge.

Apologies for spelling errors or typos, haven't got time to edit them out as my time is up. Oh, were that really true. N.B. I have now attempted to edit this so if there are still any fuck ups, my bad.

No comments: